Feb 20, 2009

Portugal's national drink

The national drink is nothing else than coffee.
It is served everywhere, any time and drank by everybody.

Did you know that Portugal was responsible for introducing coffee production to Brazil?!?!

My favourite one is galao - a bica (Portuguese espresso) with hot milk, tapped from a canister and sprayed into the tall glass in which it is served.

I've found out how significant it is from the great expert of portuguese culture - Prof. Ze Mario:
Zé Mario: back
sorry I went for coffee
me: um galao?
Zé Mario: (this is a very important portuguese habit)
=)
galão is with milk some people drink it for breakfast
I don't

but the expressos is the important thing
and our new trend, is the nespresso
me: nes? :)
Zé Mario: these awesome machines that take a coffee really quickly

that you can have at home
and you have a huge variety of coffee
I have one, of course :P
http://www.nespresso.com
the "nes" comes from nestle
a spanish brand
George Clooney is their marketing face
me: hehe
so everybody has a coffee machine at home?:D
Zé Mario: usually, yes
or we buy at a coffee shop
me: how many coffes do you drink per day?
Zé Mario: there's people who drink a lot

I don't drink more than 2/3 a day
cause more than that is bad for your health
you'll see. our coffees are excellent
that and our bread.


I have to admit, that since I'm in Portugal together with Iva, my Czech flatmate, we try to cultivate local traditions. Due to that, we go out for a coffee to the nearby Pastelaria (a shop with cakes, bread and coffee) every afternoon. Iva usually orders "meio de leite" and I ask for "um galão". Afterwards we're choosing the sweet litte pastries, every time different ones...

picture
by Sangorrin 2009

4 comments:

  1. Część Sys! (No accent in Italian keyboard)!

    Keep on writing, there ìs an Italian reader more!
    And sometimes say Hello to maja polska mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cześć Bro, it's great to have a follower from Africa (almost) ;) Mama says hello as well, u know that she adores you hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. three followers already, you are becoming famous!! hehe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I like the drawing of you and Iva;)

    ReplyDelete