Apr 29, 2009

Nascente do Este - where the river is born

On Sunday morning, Sara, her friend Filipe and I went hiking. As soon as Filipe saw me standing next to Sara, he asked if I'm Mexican too. The whole trip was organised by an organisation connected with environmental issues and planned for approx. 5 hours.

The aim of our trip was the spring of the river Este that crosses Braga. At first we took a route of the ancient road from the roman times. Afterwards we've passed the forest, few hills and a village.

After getting to the place where the spring is we had lunch and short siesta. Then continued hiking up and then dramatically down. The views around were lovely as well as the weather.

What I've learned during this trip is the fact that the trees of Eucalyptus grow not only in Australia from where it comes from. The European boom took place around 20 years ago when people started growing eucalyptus in Portugal and Spain. I was told that this kind of tree grows very fast and in 3-4 years reaches significant height.

My personal conclusion of that day is not to hike in my Spiderman's shoes. It seems they are rather made for climbing not hiking.

2 comments:

  1. hey u can go back to oviedo using that route! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zé MárioApril 30, 2009

    I gave you a very long lecture on the eucalyptus crysis when you arrived! =)

    Damned trees, they ruin our forests.

    ReplyDelete