Feb 6, 2010

Wetlina - to hike or not to hike?

This year, was the first time I've ever made all the long way to the Bieszczady in winter time.
The main reason of this trip was collecting some sources for my master thesis. Somehow I also wanted to take at least one nice hike. Choosing the hiking route was simple, I've picked probably the least risky one - Polonina Wetlinska, where I could stop for a while in the only mountain shelter in the Bieszczady located in the higher mountain parts - Chatka Puchatka (the Pooh's Hut).

Obviously, before starting the hike I didn't forget to call the Bieszczady Mountain Rescue Volunteers (tel. +48 603-449-516) to ask about the weather conditions. The snow layer wasn't very thick and it wasn't windy at all, what made the hike even better. Luckily, there were 4 guys clearing the trail in front of me, so I didn't need to worry too much about falling into some hidden cave.
As the air was very transparent, due to the inversion, the Tatra mountains located over 200 km away were visible (look at top left in the pic below)!

The hike started at 9:30 from Przełęcz Wyżne and ended at 16:00 in Chata Wędrowca (the Wanderer's Hut) - the best place to eat in Wetlina.

It's important to mention that access to the Bieszczady, especially to Wetlina, is really bad in winter. If not some friendly local people I wouldn't have a chance to get to the starting point of the trail. Last but not least, I did all the hike with my Mum who keeps on saying "It was my last hike!" after every hike we do.

The Polonina Wetlinska view from the Wetlina village.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely place and lovely post!! I hope you will do backup of it hehe :) By the way, you dont need to write about my backup in your posts!! But thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete