Sep 20, 2009

21st century Manga

Among all things that Japan has and the rest of the world doesn't, on the first place I should put enormously huge manga shops. Well, European cities have some comic shops, for example the one that I've been to in Bilbao but I wouldn't compare them to the Japanese ones.
While visiting manga shops around all of the cities I've seen in Japan, I was trying to find the one which I could read without reading haha! What I mean is that they were all in Japanese so I was looking for something that would catch my interest by its pictures. And I've found it!

My personal number 1 is the manga entitled "Saint Oniisan" (eng. "Saint Young Men") by Hikaru Nakamura! The story is about two guys renting a flat in a big city, dealing with daily problems and travelling. Quite boring, huh? Rather not, if those guys are Buddha and Jesus, if the city they are living in is Tokyo and if it the whole world is seen from their point of view!

The manga which I'm describing here does not only consist of jokes and funny situations but also encourages social and philosophical reflections. Even though, both characters represent completely different life attitudes, they seem to be very good friends . Some of the dialogues might be controversial, however, I don't think anybody could call them offensive. I believe that everybody would appreciate this manga in their own way but for sure they would!

Below I've selected a few of my favourite cut outs. They were translated from Japanese into English, so remember to read them from right to left (and click to enlarge) !

Check out
http://www.onemanga.com/Saint_Young_Men/
to find more!

No comments:

Post a Comment